We are our worst critics. I know this to be true. However, the camera doesn’t lie. Photos taken of me before last nights dinner dance brilliantly show the bits of dark chocolate I’ve reached for during the work day in the past many months. The revelation stared me in the eye as I developed the images. It’s now clear: I’m getting fat in my down time.
And it’s not just in my face. I’ve been noticing it around my mid-section and chest as well. Even worse, I can FEEL IT. The sluggish, heavy sludge does not feel good day in and day out.
Well, I refuse to sit idly by and let that happen. It’s time to take action. I may not be able to run right now, but there are plenty of things that I can do which I am not.
- I can go for short walks now. I walked a mile during my lunch on Tuesday and my foot seemed to tolerate it okay.
- I can peddle on the spin cycles at the gym. I tried this a few weeks ago and found that as long as I didn’t do standing climbs, but stayed down in saddle, I was okay. Of course I only did 30 minutes but it’s been a couple of weeks.
- There’s no reason I can’t do weights.
- I can stop reaching for the salty chips and sweets.
- I can ask for your support and encouragement. I NEED IT.
When I first started this blog, it was shortly after reading an article posted in Runner’s World on runners getting support and encouragement from perfect strangers through blogging. Being in the middle of my quest for Boston qualification, I decided to join the rage and was thrilled to find that it was 110% true. I can’t say that I currently feel the support I felt back then. Then again, I’m not running for Boston qualification. I’m not even running.
Please know, however, that I do still need your support and encouragement. It’s the same with you, I am sure. So, I am asking you to please leave a comment now and again to encourage and motivate me. In turn, I will do my best to motivate and encourage you by getting back in the game (writing and activity wise). With any luck, I even start running again. Lord knows, I sure would love that.