With my running clothes on, I threw YaYa’s bike into the van and drove off to pick up BoBo at football practice. Usually by 6:30 pm, BoBo is standing in the pick-up circle waiting for me. Today, he was not there. I pulled into the front lot of the school; we got out, and walked to the weight room. There was nobody there so we walked to the back of the school where the football field and track are located. Football practice was still in full steam ahead.
Since there was no sign of football practice ending any time soon I figured that I would just do my run on the track instead. I invited YaYa to run around the track with me. As we ran, the practice continued on the infield. I could hear BoBo’s voice calling out, “Blue 42 – Blue 42…” I just focused on the run. I reminded myself to be “present”…not at work, not blogging, not anywhere else. Just focus…run in circles…and focus.
Here was today’s workout (without my GPS or even a watch).
– YaYa and I ran one lap together at an easy pace.
– Then I ran a lap and he sat down.
– YaYa ran the next lap with me still at an easy pace.
– Then he sat out a lap.
After this warm up mile, I wanted to do a little speed work (sort of).
– YaYa and I did the next lap together.
– We ran fast on the straights and jogged the curve.
– I did the next lap alone keeping the same fast straight / slow curve pattern.
– I was joined by YaYa again for the subsequent lap and then did the next lap alone.
Then, I ran one final mile, in the opposite direction, as a cool down while YaYa joined the coach’s daughter in doing the long jump.
By the time I was finished, football practice was finally over.
You could say that we ran circles around the football players…ALL of them.