Today, I found a couple of critical insurance documents, from my employer, that were received in the mail several weeks ago. Not wanting to leave them out when the cleaners came, I had tucked them away in a basket to attend to later.
Yes, I have cleaners – frivolous as it is; it is an expense that is well worth a sacrifice of equal value. I wouldn’t be doing as well as I am without them. But that is not the point of this post. The point is the mail.
Each day the mail comes and I sort through a pile of envelopes that are mostly addressed to Tom. I don’t let it get to me anymore; it’s just part of the new routine. I’ve notified the project management organizations that send periodicals en mass, the credit card agencies, and the like. Still 95% of the mail is addressed to the deceased, and the remaining 5% is addressed to the kids and I. I expect that a year from now the same will be true.
In particular, I’ve been looking for mail from my employer. I’ve been curious as to why the forms that they were going to process and send still haven’t showed up in my mailbox. How long could it take to “process”?
As you may have guessed, those papers that I hid away in the basket were, in fact, the missing forms that I was looking for. I found them today as I was looking for the Y-camp forms that I had completed for YaYa’s summer and never turned in.
And in today’s mail was something that I wasn’t expecting from my employer (the “mother company”). It was a Birthday card. Well, sort of.
Actually, disguised as a birthday card, it was a card promoting cholesterol screening and encouraging a lifestyle to ensure good health and a long life. It’s a little late for that now but I suppose they meant well.
Had I not worked for this company, in addition to reporting his death to them, I might not be so appalled. Because, if I didn’t work for them, he probably would not be on their mailing list. They certainly wouldn’t have known that his 50th birthday is just around the corner.
Well, I completed the long lost forms, misplaced the birthday card, and now it’s all in the mail.
I’m sure your workplace just spits out those reminders automatically. i doubt they ever clear out their database. and listen, i’d have cleaners too if i could afford it. don’t dare apologize for that!
I realize that, but it still sucks. He’s NEVER received a B-day card from them before.
Having a cleaner is ESSENTIAL :-) No need to justify it to me. The healing continues Juls. You are a strong woman.
I’m glad you have a house fairy – that’s good. You more than deserve one.
Fie on those bastards for sending that card. My temptation would have been to write ‘DECEASED’ across it and send it to the head of HR in an envelope maked ‘personal and confidential’ just to be sure it got into the right hands. No – I’m not really that petty but I’m good at evil thoughts. Think I need help?
I just hired a housecleaner last week – she starts next Monday! Oh joy! I have been waiting for this for years.
I like 21-Mom’s suggestion.
Never apologize for hiring help. I had a housekeeper when I was working two jobs. The best money I ever spent on myself.
Sorry about the mail, generated by computers and not humans. Not that people are any more clued in.
Your resolve to keep moving forward never ceases to amaze me.